UPDATED: Canada’s Ben Moss Jewellers is Going Out of Business Due to Low Canadian Dollar • Huge Discounts Nationwide

Ben Moss is shutting down. Get in on their massive discounts.

UPDATE, August 3, 2016, 1:54 AM:

One of our followers e-mailed Ben Moss in regard to the Lifetime Service Plans. This was their response:

As it stands now. Ben Moss is now under new ownership and we are not in a position to make decisions regarding the Lifetime Service Plan as it is completely out of our hands. Ben Moss has been purchased by a liquidator and all stores are now in a liquidation sellout. Unfortunately, the new ownership has decided not to refund or honour any Lifetime Service Plans. I sincerely apologize for this and feel a great deal of empathy for you and all our customers. Once again my sincerest apologies.Rob Schlechter, Regional Manager, Ben Moss Jewellers

It was just announced on last Friday that Ben Moss will be closing all of its Canadian locations. Because of this, all of their stores are holding ‘Going out of business’ sales as you read this. The sales began on Saturday, July 30.

The Winnipeg-based Ben Moss was established in 1910 — over 105 years ago. They are shutting down due to the low Canadian dollar effecting the number of sales being made at all of their retail locations across the nation.

This was their best option:

After considering all of our restructuring options, including selling all or part of the business as a going concern, we have determined that this is the best course based on the challenges we are facing.Naveed Manzoor, Chief Restructuring Officer of Ben Moss

There are 17 Ben Moss locations in Alberta, with 5 of those locations in the Edmonton metro area.

Those locations are:
  • Londonderry Mall
  • Kingsway Mall
  • Sherwood Park Mall
  • West Edmonton Mall, and
  • Southgate Centre

There are over 50 locations across the country.

The news release goes on to say:

Store fixtures, furniture and equipment will also be available for sale at a later date.

It’s never a good thing to see such a long time player in Canada not make it through struggling times, just as it’s never a good thing to see Canadian companies being sold off to companies based out of the United States.

View the full list of store locations via the news release.

SHOULD WE WRITE MORE STORIES LIKE THIS?

10,244 VIEWS

Jody Mitoma

Founder of Edmonton Talks News.

• August 4, 2016 at 7:57 AM

I paid hundreds of dollars for my warranty I’m right livid that they are not honouring they said 100% guaranteed that means they should find a company who will work with them on the warranty.

this is Bullshit, and something needs to be done

• September 6, 2016 at 7:56 AM

It says right on the service plan that it is a legal contract, beginning the day you purchase it to continue for the owners or products lifetime. They’re breaking the contract and we’re getting screwed

• Tania Brunet
    August 1, 2016 at 2:06 PM

So much for their “lifetime” offer of trading up jewelry purchased from them :/

• Carolle Boulard
      August 1, 2016 at 3:43 PM

It’s not selfishness, people paid for merchandise expecting a certain level of service that they will no longer have. Being upset about this does not mean they care any less for the ones who are losing their jobs.

• Adam Warmuth
      August 1, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Not that they can do anything about it, I’m sure it’s the last thing on their mind. It’s not that they’re denying you service, they’re getting out of all services. Tough luck?

• December 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM

If you spend thousands of dollars on warranty. I sure you would not be saying this.

• Terri Badiuk
      August 1, 2016 at 3:15 PM

How about some empathy for the hundreds of UNEMPLOYED people that are coming from this! Stop being selfish!

(-1)
  • Alden Gushnowski
    August 1, 2016 at 4:48 PM

The people that actually think they’ll get money back from a bankrupted company share the same brain as those who blame the Canadian dollar for a failing business.

• Alden Gushnowski
      August 1, 2016 at 5:10 PM

Brad, that may be one of the reasons, but it’s not THE reason. The Canadian dollar has fluctuated since the early 70s. That they didn’t have the competency to plan for fluctuation is their fault, not the currency market’s fault.

• November 7, 2016 at 8:18 PM

I suggest if you haven’t fully paid for your ring stop paying if they can break the contract so can you.

• Andrea Diaz
    August 1, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Not surprised. Would never buy jewelry there anyways; no loss to me, it’s a very convenient reason though. I suspect something bigger.

• Kim Liinamaa
      August 1, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Their diamonds look like frozen monkey spit and are marked up 300%. You can get a better quality diamond for less elsewhere.

• Andrea Diaz
      August 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM

That’s true . I went ring shopping there once and the price was ridiculous. For poor poor quality. Still most don’t think about quality. .they think about how shiny it is or how big. So I imagine uneducated jewelry shoppers would still buy from them.

• Andrea Diaz
      August 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM

(-1)
  • Tony St.Pierre
    August 1, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Sure the dollar is down but so is the price of metals like gold and silver. So it all balances out

(-1)
    • Tony St.Pierre
      August 1, 2016 at 7:09 PM

nah I don’t think so. i’m far from going bust thanks. but they would sell 10k for 5-10x what 24 k costs per troy ounce and even more on stones . prices of gold have been very cheap in the last 4 years . and they survived when the price of gold was 2500 /oz but now when its 1100 they go bust? the company needs to be managed better. too many hands in the pot

• Kris Luchanski
    August 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM

I am going to go in there and get my money back for our life time service plan on my rings!!

• Crystal Rahko-Pitawanakwat
    August 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM

wtf?!? i just got my engagement ring from them only had it sized what happens if inlose a diamond now?? have to pay full price somewhere else to get fixed cuz my.warranty wont work anymore?!?!

• Theo Sellars
    August 1, 2016 at 3:41 PM

it coast me almost 400 to get my ring fixed I think I should get my warranty back x25years at least

• Cheron Cabay
    August 1, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Wow! You just never know who’s next. Crazy! I worked for Ben moss years ago. I was a terrible sales person! Commission is not my bag. I hated selling the warranty…. They pushed us to…. Still the people and customers were pretty great.

• Edmonton Talks News
      August 1, 2016 at 8:36 PM

It has become apparent that Ben Moss employees may or may not be aware of what is impending for the Canadian company.

• Leanne Hamp
    August 1, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Lifetime warranty in this case is the lifetime of the company – it’s the chance you take with ANY warranty from windows to diamonds. Hopefully the employees will at least get what they’re owed in the solvency.

• Ivan Amirault
      August 2, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Unfortunately employees are last on the list of people to get paid out in these cases.

• Candace Friesen
    August 2, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Terri-Lynn Anderson this is where I got my wedding band. Maybe you can get yours here for cheap?

• Samantha Cowden
    August 3, 2016 at 5:58 AM

Sandy Christie Ashley Grogan I don’t know about you guys but my rings are from here.. And they are not honouring the lifetime warranty apparently. Maybe get your jewelry from here serviced prior to the close? How frustrating!!

• August 4, 2016 at 1:13 PM

I went in yesterday hoping to have my ring serviced and I was denied. The salesperson told me that I could pay to have it re-plated but they couldn’t do it under the service plan. All the equipment to clean and inspect was gone as well so I couldn’t even get that!

• August 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Imagine how much they made from thousands of people paying for those warranties. What a scam

• October 18, 2016 at 12:44 PM

I’m not in the field of legalities. But nowhere on the warranty form that I signed does it allow for this loophole. Does this not count as fraud? Is this worthy of a class action lawsuit? Is it able? Why do we not have the rights to our money back if this “lifetime warranty” is all of a sudden “void”?

• November 17, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Grow up all you people feeling sorry for the employees , maybe if they did a better job the company wouldn’t be insolvent. As for those who paid for warranties you have every right to be upset.

• January 9, 2017 at 8:00 AM

we here in toronto know what really killed Ben Moss.

• January 9, 2017 at 8:02 AM

blame head office

• Andrea Rogoza
    August 2, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Yeah….what about warranties? Free cleanings? Free redips? What the hell!?

(-1)
  • Terri Badiuk
    August 1, 2016 at 3:16 PM

So sad to hear of a CANADIAN business going away. Too bad people won’t support a CANADIAN business in rough times. Stop whining about your damn warranties and have some compassion for all the employees who will be losing their jobs!!!!

(-8)
    • Crystal Rahko-Pitawanakwat
      August 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM

my man spent money at this company i have all right to complain about my warranty especially if ive only had it sized so far its that new!!

• Kerry Lynn
      August 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Who can afford new jewelry during rough times? People don’t eat out as much and jewelry?? Definitely not a necessity.

• Carolle Boulard
      August 1, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Crystal Rahko-Pitawanakwat YES! Exactly!

People paid for this and they have every right to be upset!

Tue, 28 Mar 2017 07:00:05 +0000Debate Storm Brewing Over Alberta Land Stewardship Act
Sat, 25 Mar 2017 07:00:14 +0000Cigarettes and Alcohol Federal Tax Announcement, Prices on the Rise
Sat, 18 Feb 2017 11:45:38 +0000Self-made Weatherman, Frankie MacDonald out of Nova Scotia, Given Silver Play Button Award by YouTube
Sat, 18 Feb 2017 07:00:34 +0000PUBLIC WARNING: Edward Currie, 40 Year Old Violent Offender, Released in Edmonton
Fri, 17 Feb 2017 07:00:45 +0000A Fresh New Doughnut Shop Recently Opened in Edmonton • They Called it Doughnut Party!
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:30:01 +0000Future & Lady Gaga Coming to Edmonton, Alberta in June & August 2017 Respectively