Calgary to Provide $5.15 Monthly Transit Passes for Those Making Less than $12,000 Per Year

The City of Calgary has agreed to allow $5/month transit passes for those living in extreme poverty.

This is a great initiative, especially with so many cities in Canada doing the exact opposite. Monthly transit passes go as high as $170/month in Vancouver, $105 in Ottawa, and $91 here in Edmonton. However, Edmonton will be providing low income passes come September 2017, at a 60% discounted rate of the regular price.

Calgary already has a $44 monthly transit pass for those living in poverty, but that is still difficult to pay for those living in extreme poverty, hence the new $5 monthly transit pass.

The new low-income monthly passes will range from $5.15 to $51.50, depending no a person’s yearly income.

As things stand right now, before this new initiative goes into effect, adult monthly passes are going for $99 per month, with low-income passes going for $44.

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi said it best:

This makes a huge difference in people’s lives. It gets them to medical appointments, to schools, to job interviews.Nenshi told CBC News.

This is a step in the right direction for Canadians that are having a hard time making it by. Calgary has taken initiative, and here’s to hoping that other cities in the province and country take note and do similar.

Edmonton, being it the capital city of Alberta, will also be providing low income passes to Edmontonians starting in September of 2017. However, the discounted passes are not nearly as cheap as Calgary tends to provide next year. The monthly passes in capital city will be sold to low income people for 60% off of the regular pass prices.

The new fees will come into effect in 2017.

SHOULD WE WRITE MORE STORIES LIKE THIS?

212 VIEWS

Jody Mitoma

Founder of Edmonton Talks News.

• Lisa Thomas
    August 1, 2016 at 8:30 PM

My car insurance and half a month in gas is still cheaper than a transit pass here in Edmonton and it doesn’t take 2 hours to get to the south side or 3 different buses and the LRT..

• Edmonton Talks News
      August 1, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Phew! Some of us aren’t so lucky. My car insurance, car payment and gas bill for one month comes up to about $1,000. 🙁

• Lisa Thomas
      August 1, 2016 at 8:42 PM

It took me 25 years to get my car insurance this low…and I have a clean license..I don’t buy new..I pay cash for used and do my own maintenance..I tried using buses but quickly realized that I couldn’t afford it and got frustrated at how inconvenient it was to get where I needed without taking 3 or more hours of my day on a round trip just to an appointment..
      I do understand most have no choice..but I feel their pain and count my blessings..

• Trixie Vanderslütte
    August 1, 2016 at 8:35 PM

I may be mistaken but I believe the City of Edmonton did announce a new low-income pass that they’re set to roll out in the fall. It’s not as low as this but is a start. Let’s hope that Edmonton follows suit. With a $12,000.00/year cut off, that means that single residents on Income Support would qualify and that is a HUGE help for employment searches and accessing low-income services like free meals, food banks, shelters, and so on. Way to go Calgary for raising the bar! <3

• Edmonton Talks News
      August 1, 2016 at 8:38 PM

This is excellent, thank you Trixie! 🙂 I will check it out and update the post with this information when I get a chance. ^_^

• Sherry Bernard
      August 1, 2016 at 9:53 PM

I heard that a new monthly low income bus pass will be out in September, the cost will be $35.00 a month, it should be the same as Calgary seeing as we’re the Capital City of Alberta and both City’s should have the same fare for low income

• Paulene Carey
    August 1, 2016 at 9:21 PM

and people could buy multiple passes to give away to someone who could use them

• Melissa Swinamer
      August 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM

I highly doubt they will sold at the local gas station… Guarantee you’ll have to go to Alberta works to get one…

Sat, 25 Mar 2017 07:00:14 +0000Cigarettes and Alcohol Federal Tax Announcement, Prices on the Rise
Sat, 18 Feb 2017 11:45:38 +0000Self-made Weatherman, Frankie MacDonald out of Nova Scotia, Given Silver Play Button Award by YouTube
Sat, 18 Feb 2017 07:00:34 +0000PUBLIC WARNING: Edward Currie, 40 Year Old Violent Offender, Released in Edmonton
Fri, 17 Feb 2017 07:00:45 +0000A Fresh New Doughnut Shop Recently Opened in Edmonton • They Called it Doughnut Party!
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:30:01 +0000Future & Lady Gaga Coming to Edmonton, Alberta in June & August 2017 Respectively
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 07:04:19 +0000Edmonton’s Metro Line LRT Will Finally Run at Full Speed as of February 19, 2017