May This Be the End of Taxi in Edmonton? Some Think So as Co-Op Taxi Complaint Goes Viral

Edmontonian Barry Werkman shared a complaint he had about his son’s experience with Co-Op Taxi, and it went viral real quick.

EDMONTON — Co-Op Taxi Line is getting a lot of backlash over a situation that occurred last Thursday, September 1st, 2016.

This isn’t the first time taxi in Edmonton has received negative attention, and we’re certain it won’t be the last.

Barry’s post ended up going viral, reaching that of over 700,000 people in just two short days. The posts had been shared over 13,600 times as of this writing. We say “posts” plural because there are two posts in question. One is Barry Werkman’s original post (shared over 4,400 times), the other is a screenshot of said post found on my anonymous community Shoutout Edmonton (shared over 9,200 times) with over 240 ‘angry’ reactions at the time of this article’s publishing.

The situation in question is best explained by Barry Werkman himself – the father of Aaron Voravong-Werkman, who is the one that endured the terrible behavior.

Barry Werkman writes:

It’s not often that I rant about anything but when it comes to my kids that’s where I draw the line. Last night my 18 yr old son went to Whyte Ave with his friends. As a responsible adult they took a cab from Whyte Ave to my place.Barry Werkman

Barry goes on to say:

This Co-Op driver refused to take the Co-Op Taxi coupons as payment and told Aaron that these were fake and he was calling the police to charge my son. Aaron and his friends found some cash and gave it to him as they felt intimidated and harassed by this driver with “no class”.Barry Werkman

As if that weren’t bad enough, Aaron endured a pretty terrible experience shortly thereafter.

Barry goes on to inform the public:

To add insult to injury this Co-Op driver speed off after running over my son’s foot. He is ok but this practice of these drivers making threats and intimidating passengers has to stop.Barry Werkman

Barry Werkman writes what he’s been told by his son Aaron. Aaron is known to be a law abiding citizen, and does not get into trouble with the law or otherwise.

Things worsen even further:

Believe it or not, things actually get even worse for Aaron and Barry with this regard.

Barry continues:

I contacted Co-Op this morning and spoke with a dispatcher who was rude and condescending not wanting to assist a parent who had a concern about how their child, adult or not was treated. She told me it was none of my business and when I asked for a manager or a supervisor she informed me that none would speak to me and then hung up the phone.Barry Werkman

This is not the first time we’ve heard stories of local taxi company dispatchers showing little to no care towards its consumers, and we feel that it’s more than likely far from the last.

Barry urges his Facebook friends to share his post, and believe-me you, they did. Over 13,300 shares over the course of less than three days, reaching out to a similar population to that of which the entire city of Edmonton holds.

Barry shares his thoughts even further:

No wonder companies like Uber and Tapp Car are taking over.Barry Werkman

With so many stories being brought to light about how Edmonton’s taxi companies are treating their customers, it’s no wonder indeed, Barry. Your story is just one of hundreds that have been brought to the public’s attention over the years, and I’m sure there are many more to come.

Co-Op Taxi replies:

At 7:22PM on Saturday, September 3rd, Co-Op Taxi took to their Facebook page to write a public announcement in regard to Barry’s post, after it had gone viral.

Co-Op Taxi writes:

Then, 26 hours later, on September 4th at 9:28PM (just over two hours ago as of this article), Co-Op writes yet another status on their Facebook. Unfortunately, it seems as if they wrote basically the same thing but in different words.

ANOTHER ARTICLE:  Government of Canada Announces that they will Invest in Edmonton's Youth Through Skills Improvement Project
They write:

What really gets me though, is that they have yet to contact Barry in this regard. Absolutely unacceptable.

I’ve personally spoken with Barry about this situation on more than one occasion, and it was incredibly easy to get his attention.

More about the vouchers:

Co-Op Taxi Voucher // Lisa Fedirko
Co-Op Voucher // Lisa Fedirko

In an attempt to learn more about these Co-Op Taxi vouchers, we got in touch with someone that left a comment on the original Shoutout Edmonton post.

Lisa Fedirko explains where she got the ticket, and how it does not have an expiration date on them anywhere.

Lisa writes to us in a private message:

The back is blank. This is a coupon. I just won $150 of them at Father’s Day. You see everything I do. […] I don’t drive but I also don’t go out much. I’d hate to think I take a taxi and the coupons are no good because I’d legit not have any money on me!Lisa Fedirko

As you can see, the tickets were won off of a Facebook contest that was held by Co-Op Taxi Line themselves, and the contest winners were not informed of an expiration date, nor do any of the vouchers have one printed on them.

Edmontonians speak their minds:

With the popularity of this complaint, many have spoken their own minds on the matter. You will be quick to notice that more than 9 out of 10 of the comments left on the Shoutout Edmonton post are complaints about Co-Op, or Edmonton taxi companies in general, which is quite unfortunate. Please note that some of these comments contain coarse language.

Here are just some of those complaints:

It seems clear to me that things need to change when it comes to taxi in the capital city of Alberta, and they need to change quick.

Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to have outward and inward facing dash cams in all of Edmonton’s taxis. This way, we have the proof required to finalize cases such as this one.

Looking at Shoutout Edmonton’s search results for “taxi” and “cab”, you quickly realize how many complaints get put in for taxi companies in Edmonton. This is unacceptable. View those results here & here.

As to be expected, there are some that have had good experiences, and choose to back up the company.

Here are some of those in favor of taxi:

VIEW ALL COMMENTS — To read the hundreds of comments left by Edmontonians and abroad, take a look at the original post here.

Please take our poll:

In conclusion:

If you experience some terrible behavior from any of Edmonton’s taxi companies – or an Uber or TappCar driver for that matter, please don’t keep quiet. Let your situation be known, so that things can get rectified, and so that the public is made aware of what’s happening.

All this has been said, and we haven’t even touched on the fact that the driver of the cab ran over Aaron’s foot…

FINAL WORDS — As the author of this article, I want to make one thing clear. Although negative experiences with local taxi always grab the attention of the public, and although the number of complaints lodged against local cab companies is rather high, it is important to remember that not all cab drivers, nor all dispatchers are to be seen under the same light. There are terrible cab drivers out there – this has become obvious – however there are many, many wonderful taxi drivers and dispatchers out there as well.

6,660 VIEWS

View Barry Werkman’s original complaint
View the original Shoutout Edmonton post

Jody Mitoma

Founder of Edmonton Talks News.

• September 22, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Let me see if i get this straight.

Barry Werkman the largest convicted drug dealer in Alberta history is now Alberta’s biggest crusader for justice after ruining thousands of peoples lives and families, caused babies to be born with birth defects and enabled peopled addicted to drugs that some even have died that he dealt cocaine to is now up in arms over a rude taxi cab driver? I guess when your not allowed to travel outside of Edmonton due to your parole you never experienced real rude taxi drivers in LA, Paris or nyc which makes his story look just pathetically small town riduculous. What’s his next big scoop a cow tipping caper or someone running a red light.

Unfortunate a rude cab driver was rude but what is more unfortunate is that Alberta doesn’t have stronger sentencing for drug dealers and dead beat child support dads.

people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones….

• Sheryl Treadwell
    September 5, 2016 at 12:59 AM

About four months ago I was with a client in a cab going from downtown Edmonton to St. Albert to a group home. The Islamic cab driver had gotten quite rude after I called him on taking me the long way around, which he really did do. In an angry tone he aked if I would like to be dropoed off (on a very busy 127 St. and Yellowhead Trail). I said yes. Luckily I opened my door before he tried to lock us in. The driver demanded I give him $20 and of course I refused. I would not allow the likes of this mere male to intimidate me. I called Co Op taxi dispatch and complained. I will never ever use them again.

• Mahmoud Taliani
      September 5, 2016 at 1:20 AM

What does religion have to with behaviour? I was at a restaurant and the server was absolutely horrible and rude. Has no relation to her religion. Lol. Can’t label people by their religions.

• Patty Gillis
      September 5, 2016 at 1:15 AM

Islam is not a race…but that being said…the co-op cab drivers have really got bad over the years…rude..some of them.

• Brittany K Drake
      September 5, 2016 at 5:54 AM

“I would not allow the likes of this mere male to intimidate me”

I don’t appreciate sexist remarks even if it’s only borderline sexist…

• AJ Jordan
      September 5, 2016 at 1:34 AM

What an ignorant comment. What does his religion has to do with this??

• Sabby Janice
      September 5, 2016 at 1:54 AM

I would like to point out that cabs are not cop cars. You cant be locked in, and if the cab was rigged that way it shouldve been reported to the police. Also, his religion has nothing to do with anything nor is it relevant to him being an asshole. Anybody can be an asshole, any color any religion. You are the asshole right now sheryl.

• Sabby Janice
      September 5, 2016 at 1:54 AM

(-1)
    • Harsimran Kaur
      September 5, 2016 at 8:05 AM

I stopped reading when u said “islamic” u stupid bitch, is your religion white?

(-1)
    • Krista Terry
      September 5, 2016 at 12:26 AM

Jodi rewrote this article in a hurry after accidentally deleting the first one. He probably cares and just didn’t catch it in the rush to get it up.

• Edmonton Talks News
      September 5, 2016 at 12:26 AM

Krista, is this the sentence in question?

“Barry’s post ended up going viral, reaching that of over 700,000 people in just two short days.”

If so, I believe that this is written correct. It’s more-so old English.

• Krista Terry
      September 5, 2016 at 12:27 AM

“reaching that of over” sounds really weird to me, and I used to read the King James Bible, still sounds weird.

• Michelle McCallum
      September 5, 2016 at 12:30 AM

But there is always a nazi police that needs to correct the “supposed grammar issues” :/

• Edmonton Talks News
      September 5, 2016 at 12:32 AM

I’m no longer certain if that’s proper. It would be in the same family that uses the term “that of which”, hehe! Maybe I am wrong!

• Krista Terry
      September 5, 2016 at 12:36 AM

I might be wrong too, I’m not a grammar expert, just a girl who reads a lot. lol

• September 5, 2016 at 6:49 AM

barrel an yellow are. co-op is its own

• Terri Badiuk
    September 5, 2016 at 12:18 AM

Their drivers are the rudest drivers in Edmonton! They yell at you and wave their hands at you like a raving lunatic if you tell them NOT to block crosswalks!

• Melissa Leigh Pilger
    September 5, 2016 at 12:47 AM

Worked for them in the past. Most shady company ever. Not going to into detail but I will never use them if I need a taxi. Their drivers are the worst, rude and ignorant. I hope they do finally get shut down. They should have years ago.

• Ellen Hancock
    September 5, 2016 at 1:00 AM

I hope Barry takes these coupons to consumer and corporate affairs (CIBC building downtown). If there is no expiry date they should have been honored… I hope they don’t just go to BBB but actually follow through on this!

• Joey Kent
    September 5, 2016 at 2:55 AM

A family member of mine was taking a cab to a casino in Edmonton.

When they got to the parking lot, the cab driver reversed the cab without looking at s high rate of speed and backed into a light post, severely damaging his cab and injuring my family member as a result.

When they got out of the cab to inspect the damage, he asked the passenger to lie about what happened; to say someone else hit them and ran off.

Luckily security at the building saw what happened and called the police.

After providing my family member, as well as security with a fake name, he tried to lie about what happened.

He then tried to coerce the passenger into lieing for him.
    She went inside the place of business and wanted no further contact with the operator of the cab.

He proceeded to call her cell phone upwards of 10 times, and when she answered he would just listen and not talk.
    He then walked inside the building and was seen pacing back and forth as of looking for someone.

He then texted her phone repeatedly saying he was going to drive her home, and they needed to discuss something.
    He was waiting for over 2 hours outside, stalking her.
    Other patrons and staff inside the building could see what was transpiring, and offered to take her outside to safety and arrange for a ride home for her.

I believe she still has screen shots of his phone calls and text messages, as well as security footage of the accident and his stalking. The owners of CO-OP were made aware of the situation, and they informed that this wasn’t his first accident and it was quite common for him.

I’ll never ever ever take another co-op taxi.

• Edmonton Talks News
      September 5, 2016 at 3:05 AM

Woah. I can’t help but wonder what he’d have done if he got her in the car and took off… Anyway, I’ll try not to think of that. Thanks for sharing your story. It’s a shame that it too, is a bad one.

• Karen Ann
      September 5, 2016 at 7:17 AM

That’s horrible! OMG! Taxi cab driver or otherwise that is really messed up,,,then add the employers response and that it doesn’t sound like he was dismissed??? Wow I sure hope someone deals with the guy! That is so messed up!!

• Clarisse Ullero Collado
    September 5, 2016 at 3:10 AM

Only been in Edmonton for 3 years. Quite a small environment i involve in, home-work-community. Ive met a good number of awesome people in different background/ethnicity. Seen too many as well that treat people with utmost animosity for no reason at all (most likely for apparent reason as color of the skin or accent). I guess what goes around comes around. We all need a little kindness towards each other i think.

• Dallas Wallace
    September 5, 2016 at 6:15 AM

I once called Co Op and they gave me a quote for my cab fare. If you ask, then the meter doesn’t matter lol. Anyways I was with a friend and I told him I was given a quote. So from the old Molson House 121st 104ave to 144ave 93st, the driver tried convincing me, not my friend, that he should be compensated for losing money. That my friend should ‘help’ him out lol. I called the dispatch to complain while still in the cab. He just turned around and didn’t say a word the rest of the ride.

• Amanda Kuhn
    September 5, 2016 at 6:26 AM

I have also had a terrible experience with them, I sent my kids to school in a co-op taxi and the driver did not give them their 10$ change, I called them and no one would deal with it. They said the driver did not take the money but I know my kids wouldn’t keep 10$ and lie to me. I tried talking to the manager and the driver supervisor and no one would call me back. They ended up black listing me and never dealt with their driver stealing my money.

• Casper Marie
    September 5, 2016 at 6:29 AM

co-op taxi sucks so bad … Coming home from just a few drinks from the bar I used their service to get home cause hell if I’m driving with any liquor in me … A normally 15$ ride ended up being a 30$ ride because he wanted to go his way I was not drunk … We nearly got into three major car accidents on the way … He smelled like vinegar or something and I seriously doubt he was sober something just wasn’t right with him …. Either way I tossed him a 20 and got the hell out of there 2 blocks from my house because I got too scared we were gunna crash l will never use their service again … Even still when I see one narrowly miss another vehicle I remember my ride from hell

• September 5, 2016 at 6:54 AM

I never use Co-Op for the overall experience of not being treated very nicely. I switched over to Yellow/Barrel and have never had horrible service… There are longer wait times sometimes but thats ok…..I hope that this bad experience with Co-Op doesnt taint ALL taxi services it should only effect Co-Op.

• Tuula Carp
    September 5, 2016 at 7:36 AM

All taxi company’s are the some . I have stories that would blow your minds trust me .

• Shel Leclerc
    September 5, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Those “coupons” look more like gift cards, which aren’t allowed to expire since they have MONETARY VALUE.

But here’s the thing I’ve noticed about cab drivers.
    They have no issue lying to you or fucking you over to get more money. This includes taking the long way or lying about not being able to take a method of payment other than cash – a cab driver can’t refuse any form of payment. The only reason they want cash is because it’s harder to track and they keep more of it for themselves as opposed to through the debit machine.

I’ve also noticed they’re pushy AF.
    Like if I’m walking to work, I don’t appreciate strangers pulling up and going, “you want ride?”
    NO. I JUST WANT TO GET TO FUCKING WORK!!!
    Taking me the long way?
    I’ll do the math myself and only pay for what I was on track for. Like no, I’m not stupid.

Ive even had cab drivers intentionally drive in the opposite direction of where I wanted to go – at that point I get out and either walk, call a friend, take the bus, or call another cab and call to complain.

And it’s not just Co-Op that sucks.
    It’s any company that hires people with ZERO people skills.

• Ashley Paige Ambury
    September 5, 2016 at 8:44 AM

I’ve had creepy CO-OP guys try to hit on me and get my number. I always felt uncomfortable as they would ask personal questions and wouldn’t stop the whole ride.

• Shannon Salloum
    September 5, 2016 at 9:03 AM

A capital taxi driver hit me with the car when I got out and was walking to my house, he didn’t even stop or apologize. I contacted capital about it and I never even heard back.
    Uber all the way!

• Samantha Block
    September 5, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Just so people know Tappcar is just yellow cab trying to fake out people. If you don’t want to use a cab company, über is your only option.

• Jeremy Dines
    September 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM

I’ve had numerous issues with Co-op taxi. From long way around rides (I paid him the amount it cost me to make the trip before), to threatening to kick me out for arguing about trying to go long way around (I called dispatch to complain, he shut his mouth), to one almost hitting me while I was walking while he was backing up, to getting mad because they took too long to arrive so I jumped in another cab, to having one get pulled over for speeding in a school zone right after I told him to slow down due to the school zone, to getting t-boned by one who ran a red light. I generally hate cabbies. All the companies suck. Co-op just happens to be the worst of the bunch.

• Cindy Gillis
    September 5, 2016 at 9:41 AM

I would rather walk anywhere than take a co-op taxi. Their drivers are so ignorant and rude. I had one sitting in the middle of the road one time and wouldn’t move so I had to go on the other side of the road to pass him. He then began to tailgate me and honk his horn. I pulled over and told him I was calling the police. Got out of my car so I could get his taxi number and license plate . He then said he was calling the police. I said good so am I. The police told me to call co-op and speak to a manager. Needless to say the manager seemed apologetic and told me the situation would be dealt with and he would call me. Told me the same cab drive has had 2 complaints in the last week. Never heard from the guy again… That’s not the only problem I’ve had with them in the past! One driver couldn’t find my place once. He called me from his cell swearing and yelling because he thought I lied about my address. When my friend and I walked to the main road to meet him . We watched him drive off like a dick. I’d rather eat monkey shit than take a co-op taxi ! This company needs to be pushed out of edmonton !

• Leigh Oswin
    September 5, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Tried and convicted, with one side of the story, in the Court of Public Opinion. I’m sure the drivers can also tell some tales about drunk teens being picked up on Whyte Avenue.

• Rachel Hart
      September 5, 2016 at 9:58 AM

I agree I have heard many horror stories about customers getting sick, running on fares, stealing the drivers property, harming the driver, being racist the list goes on and on.

• Leigh Oswin
      September 5, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Ellen Hancock You did hon. What’s a troll anyway? Someone whose opinion differs from yours?

• Shauna Gillis Landry Snow
    September 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM

If you call the cab company and complain they say they will call you back and never do. One of the reasons the cab companies have such bad raps. Some drivers are very courteous and others are down right rude and scum.

• Karen Cameron
    September 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM

We had a cab driver In our complex that was best described as ”
    Free ride now legs open wide ” disgusting.

• Karen Cameron
    September 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM

My
    Sons god father was killed by two asshats he was the best driver that said drivers today aren’t in the same class as the ”
    Old time drivers “

• Julia Bryce
    September 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM

I too have had co-op cab refuse me a few times: not going far enough; ask if I am paying cash or debit…debit, so no; no, I have another fare to pick up and then they drive around the corner and pull back into que. well, finding out they want an airport run has bitten them in the arse. Another cb company took me…was 17.00 fare and then was someone else waiting where they dropped me off to go somewhere. At a later date I had this same cab driver. He told me that by taking me to my destination he had a continual run of passengers. Said my fare ended up up 417.00 dollars plus just over $100.00 in tips.

• Reanna-Leigh Golding
    September 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM

I had a driver take me the wrong way from my destination, and turn down a busy hwy so we had to take the longest route. Had to drive ten minutes the wrong way before we could turn around and start heading the right way. Said I gave him the wrong directions. I always used to take co-op. Had problems 6 out of 10 times. Either they were rude, or incompetent, or both! I always paid my fare though as i didnt want to get blacklisted in case I ever really need them again.

Now I always take a photo of the cab information as soon as I get in. I always google map the way I want to go and instruct the driver from that. Most time I don’t tell them where I am going anymore. I just say “I have the directions here on my phone, ill let you know when to turn.”

I have no trust in Co-op cabs.

• Sarah Zamburek
    September 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Back in my whyte ave days I got taxi vouchers as a gift. I went to use them once and the driver said I couldn’t and boldface lied and made us pay.

• Wade Boone
      September 5, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Until 1 of them has an accident and everybody finds out just how little insurance they carry

• Liza Osobadly
    September 5, 2016 at 6:08 PM

I left my phone in a co-op taxi and I had to pay the driver $80 to bring it back to the north end smh

• Sue Parkinson
    September 5, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Uber abandoned my step daughter on a rural road in the middle of no where and she had to use a cell phone light to navigate home to our acerage where I picked her up. She called them the next day could only contact them by email, she was double charged because the driver did not believe she knew where she was going so re entered the information which lead to a second charge. They removed the second charge no reprimand or any discipline to the driver as a result of leaving their passenger abandoned.

• David Poodlat Peters
    September 7, 2016 at 3:02 AM

I wish to thank you again Jody for publishing such relevant and educating articles. As a community advocate, I have felt it is integral for others to share their stories as doing so can bring about change. Let us hope that as the colder months approach, taxi companies will come to understand that they are an essential service and that if the public become concerned about using them we may be soon reading more tragic endings to these stories. I will be asking a contact with Edmonton Tourism and Hospitality Alberta what their take is on this matter. I will be glad to share any input they may share. David Peters Community Advocacy Intervention Services

• November 6, 2016 at 6:57 AM

I’ve taken hundreds of yellow cab rides over the years. I’m sure this review will be banned. The realityis that, 90%+ of the cab drivers only care if you pay them cash. Most likely because they want to avoid paying Canadian taxes. Most of them complain about living in this country. 90%+ of their cabs stink horribly of B.O. Many of them try to take advantage of young women going home from the bar. There are some good cab drivers, but sadly most are predators and tax evading immigrants. Yelp won’t post this review but its the reality of the cab industry today. After more than 20 years of cab rides, I feel no choice but to try out Uber. Maybe yellow cab can learn something before they go completely out of business.

• January 11, 2017 at 12:01 PM

Just so everyone in tgese comments kniws thd old edmonton manager has been on vacation for 6 months now that shes back stuff us different this manager thats back is the same one that will fire ANY DRIVER OR DISPATCHER THAT MESSES WITH A CUSTOMER your welcome for getting her back

• Misty Hill
    September 5, 2016 at 12:55 AM

Ya well I’m staying at a hotel right now while finding a new home here and Co op taxi and yellow taxi have parked in the parking lot here and took different lady’s in rooms like what the hell taxis are now prostitutes? I phoned to complain about that taxi here all day with a woman in a room I was told I was a liar and to mind my own business I asked if your off shift can you take your cab home she said no so I said well he was in taxi so he was on shift having sex with woman at hotels I’m NEVER taking a taxi again cab number 331

• Sabby Janice
      September 5, 2016 at 1:04 AM

Some drivers use there own cars, as long as its an approved one by the company (coop) Which means they take it home, i dont think his sexual encounters are you or anybody elses business unless your his wife. He in no way is offending anyone by getting his rocks off. If he was doing it in his car that would be pretty gross.

• Guy Ecotone Toderash
      September 5, 2016 at 7:23 AM

Oh god.. Poor neighbourhood you move into… Mind your own business.. BTW I bet 10 rooms notice the paranoid woman in ur room peeking… Classic crack behaviour.. Hope Noones called to complain about u..

• Leigh Oswin
      September 5, 2016 at 10:16 AM

How do you know sex was taking place? Did you peek? Why are you spending all day watching the parking lot if you are looking for a new home? BTW, cab drivers own their vehicles for the most part and can do as they wish when not working.

• Josh Church
      September 5, 2016 at 10:55 AM

The person you phoned is right, you should just mind your own business. Why get involved with something that has nothing to do with you when no one is in danger. Just another person with nothing better to do than stare out a window and condemn things people they don’t know do. Lame as hell.

• AJ Jordan
      September 5, 2016 at 1:32 AM

What does that have to do with anything? ! Taxi drivers are humans too lol

(-1)
  • Francine Trembley-Southland
    September 14, 2016 at 4:22 PM

***Please Share***

Last week I wrote a post about my son Aaron Voravong-Werkman and our experience with Co Op Taxi of Edmonton. I was contacted on September 6/16 by Murray Neate who is the Sales & Marketing Manager with Co – Op who wanted to hear our story.

I was confused as to why a Sales & Marketing Manager would contact me and not an owner or complaint manager as I’m not looking at ordering or selling something to Co – Op, but never the less I told him what had happened to the both of us. Murray told me he would check into our complaint and get back to me in the next couple of days as he needed to track down the driver and the dispatcher who we dealt with.

On September 7/16 Murray called me back to let me know that the dispatcher (Belinda) had been disciplined by him personally and all staff will be taught how to use their new phone system for transferring calls as this was a reason why Belinda did not transfer me to a manager and instead spoke to me so rudely and hung up on a parent who was concerned about their child. He went on to tell me that Belinda is a good operator and this is her first major screw up.

As far as the driver Murray told me this individual is an Owner/Operator who has had complaints but nothing that would compare to this incident. He went on to tell me that this individual has been “Suspended” until he pays for and completes a 4 Day AMA Training Program.

I asked Murray how does a “Training Program” deal with an individual who has intimidated and harassed a customer to the point of making them hand over a full $14 fare and two $5 dollar vouchers on the threat of police action” and lets not forget “running over my son’s foot and speeding off ” his response was “Co – Op feels that this is all the driver needs to set him straight.

I politely told Murray that I feel that Co – Op’s punishment for this driver and dispatcher does not go far enough with the amount of public outcry that has transpired over the last few day and that 17,000 shares should signal to this company that changes must be made.

His reply to me was that the taxi industry is hard and they feel they are doing the right thing.

I’m in sales and the one thing you always do is try to satisfy the customer as best you can. I can tell you that based on my conversation with this Co – Op manager I will not let my children use Co – Op Taxi’s and I think in my opinion a “Total Boycott” of their service is what is needed until they do the right thing and change their attitude from the top down.

Do the right thing Co – Op you have already screwed this opportunity up but maybe there is still time to save your company for the good drivers and dispatchers.

Remember the customer ultimately pays your wages and with your refusal to step up and do the right thing your business model will fail only increasing the viability of Tapp Car and Uber.

Barry Werkman

(-1)
    • Jodi Byrne-Marsh
      September 14, 2016 at 4:34 PM

This situation is absolutely terrible and I feel sorry for the people involved. It is so sad to see the industry plummet. Thats said, I need people to understand – Tapp Car and Uber drivers are not plucked from the heavens and are without issue. AND to be completely honest some of them drive for Tapp Car and Uber because they are no longer allowed to work for any of the taxi companies. Please keep that in mind. This post is not to minimalize what happened at all. I think it is disgusting and agree that the industry has many issues. I hope some how , some way you and your family get the results you desire.

Tue, 18 Jul 2017 07:00:00 +0000Friendly Reminder: Some Summer Flowers are Harmful to Pets
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:00:00 +0000Iqaluit Turns to Amazon to Combat High Food Prices
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:00:00 +0000Saskatchewan Families of Transgender Youth Trying to Change ID Rules
Sat, 08 Jul 2017 23:30:28 +0000Hundreds of Wildfires Force First B.C. State of Emergency in 14 Years
Fri, 07 Jul 2017 11:00:00 +0000Canadian Animal Blood Bank to Hold Blood Donor Clinic in August
Fri, 07 Jul 2017 10:00:00 +0000BC SPCA Investigating Abbotsford Poultry Farm for Animal Abuse