Editor’s Opinion: Regarding the Change of Canada’s National Anthem

Although I feel that the national anthem was perfectly fine the way it was, let’s please keep in mind that Canada had only actually adopted the official anthem in 1980.

The anthem has been changed more than once over the course of its existence, and the change that was made yesterday is simply bringing it close to its original lyrics.

It is believed that “in all thy sons command” was added in 1913 or 1914 to give honor to the men fighting in WWI. Changing it to “in all of us command” isn’t nearly as big a deal as some people seem to be making it out to be.

I’m all for change, but of course, things such as a nation’s anthem shouldn’t be played with, at least, not without the people of said nation’s voice.

I feel that this was not a right that the political people of this country should have had an opportunity to propose and vote for change.

I feel that the millions of Canadians that make Canada what it is, should have had an opportunity to vote on this proposal.

Millions of voters, not just ~300 politicians.

I understand that the Liberal MP that proposed this change is suffering from an incredibly aggressive and quick-acting form of ALS, and although I feel terribly for him and his family, I do not think that his proposal should have been given additional consideration and added support because of it.

ANOTHER ARTICLE:  CAUTION — Don't Buy Into this Canada Revenue Agency [CRA] Email Scam

However, with that said, I am fine with the changes to our anthem. Besides, it’s not like they made a massive change. They simply changed two words, and its main reasoning was to make it fair to the 15+ million women of this beautiful nation of ours.

Call it feminism if you want, but the changes that were made are entirely okay in my books, despite the fact that when I do sing the anthem, I will probably revert to the version I grew up singing. I just feel that there’s no need to sweat the small things in the general essence of life itself.

I understand fully that not everyone will share the same insight on the whole debacle as I do, and that is entirely fair. I do hope to hear from some of you in this regard.

EDITOR’S OPINION — These thoughts are the personal opinion of Jody Mitoma  (Founder and sole-journalist for The Talk of Edmonton) and do not reflect the views or opinions of anyone but his own.

159 VIEWS

Jody Mitoma

Founder of Edmonton Talks News.

• Chesker
    June 16, 2016 at 8:47 AM

I don’t think it’s worth the effort to change it, but if it is changed, I think we should also get God out of there.

• The Talk of Edmonton
      June 16, 2016 at 8:51 AM

Truth be told, just I wrote a comment stating the exact same thing (about the whole God thing) just 15 minutes ago on my personal page’s post. (Jody Mitoma)

9.7 million Canadians don’t believe in a higher power.

• Jessica HAll
    June 16, 2016 at 9:01 AM

“Only 2 words” here and there and soon we have a totally new anthem…… NO

• Cristene N Victoria Heiligers
    June 16, 2016 at 10:49 AM

I think we should be allowed to vote on more decisions being made in Canada. Not just the anthem but how money is spent healthcare. The army etc.

• Carole Desranleau
    June 16, 2016 at 5:48 PM

It’s HORRIBLE ENGLISH! It’s embarrassing! It makes us look like we are uneducated hicks across the country! “In all of us command” WTF IS THAT!

• Sue Kidd
    June 16, 2016 at 7:29 PM

I’m tired of everyone trying or changing things about the city, province or country! First changes Northland, k-days, our Edmonton Welcome Sign, they’ve just changed the name of Commonwealth Stadium! Now our National Anthem! This is B.S! What other cities, provinces, country, change their historical landmarks or anthems? NONE! Leave our city, province and country alone already! The city or province didn’t learn anything from trying to change K-days! It’s not broken don’t try to fix it! I’m so sick of this polical correctness crap! There is way more important things that need to be addressed! This is my opinion! If you don’t like it to bad and move on!

• Ruth Wadley
    June 17, 2016 at 8:43 AM

If it was done ‘for women’ were women even consulted about it. Personally, ‘in all thy sons command’ in no way offended me or took away from my womanhood or Canadian(ism). What a complete and total waste of time & taxpayers money!

Tue, 18 Jul 2017 07:00:00 +0000Friendly Reminder: Some Summer Flowers are Harmful to Pets
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:00:00 +0000Iqaluit Turns to Amazon to Combat High Food Prices
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:00:00 +0000Saskatchewan Families of Transgender Youth Trying to Change ID Rules
Sat, 08 Jul 2017 23:30:28 +0000Hundreds of Wildfires Force First B.C. State of Emergency in 14 Years
Fri, 07 Jul 2017 11:00:00 +0000Canadian Animal Blood Bank to Hold Blood Donor Clinic in August
Fri, 07 Jul 2017 10:00:00 +0000BC SPCA Investigating Abbotsford Poultry Farm for Animal Abuse